Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Shoebox Appeal

So basically all my life I've wanted to send a shoebox and this year I finally got a chance!

According to my school chaplain 70% of boxes received are for girls but all children get a box so as a result some boys end up with boxes made with a girl in mind. I decided I wanted to make a box for a boy, but then came deciding which age category to pick; 2-4, 5-9 or 10-14. When I was trying to make up my mind my mam said to me "Sure why don't you do one for each" So I ended up doing one for each age group.

In the boxes I put simple this like a notebook, colours, pencils, pens, toothbrush, toothpaste, hat, socks, teddy, bouncy ball, toy car and  sweets. I didn't put all of the above in all the boxes. I didn't think a 14 year old would want a teddy. But I really enjoyed shopping for the boxes(I never usually enjoy shopping).

The idea that this was all somebody would get for Christmas while people in other places cry because they don't get the newest iPhone really bugged me. As we have advanced in technology and wealth we have become more obsessed with material things. We focus so much on what we will unwrap on Christmas and not on what Christmas is really for. Christmas is about being with people we love and sharing that happiness. The world would do better to remember that. So please this Christmas don't worry about what is under the Christmas tree but instead enjoy being with the people you love because after all it's the thought that counts.

Here is some photos of my shoeboxes! Hope next year you will all make a shoebox and give to those less fortunate. 
Displaying IMAG0027.jpgDisplaying IMAG0047.jpgDisplaying IMAG0023.jpgDisplaying IMAG0040.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when leaving a comment.